The Complete set of Aubrey Beardsley’s illustrations for Oscar Wilde’s play, Salome.
In 1893, Aubrey Beardsley was inspired to create and publish a single illustration based on Wilde’s play (the original is visually similar to what would later become The Climax, seen in this set as the final image before the tailpiece. Wilde loved the drawing, sent Beardsley a copy of the play containing the inscription “For Aubrey: for the only artist who, beside myself, knows what the dance of the seven veils is, and can see that invisible dance”, and soon commissioned him to illustrate the entire play. But unfortunately
the public was outraged when the English edition of the work was published with its illustrations and Wilde himself was taken aback when he laid eyes upon Beardsley’s completed drawings. Not only did he find their style inappropriate, but the illustrations had caused such public controversy with their fascinating, grotesque appeal that Wilde was concerned they would overshadow his work and “reduce the text to the role of ‘illustrating Aubrey’s illustrations’” (source).
Favourite animators: Shinya Ohira (大平晋也)
- Strongly influenced by early Disney, Ohira is a living contradiction: a full animator in a country of limited animation. He is the most iconoclastic incarnation of the new realism in anime, creating a gritty, sensual realism as opposed to the clean and restrained realism of Omohide Poroporo or Jin-Roh.
- Ohira focuses on creating fluid and realistic movement full of superfluous action to the point of relegating shape and character design to jagged, wildly undulating lines. (anipages)
- Creator Spotlight: Ohira Shinya
- Sakuga: The Animation of Anime pt.6 - Shinya Ohira’s Surrealist Animation
- More scenes animated by Shinya Ohira: MAD by BlueSakuga (HD), Flipbook Sakuga
- List of anime he’s worked on + sakuga wiki
- He also directed one of the Genius Party short films - “Wanwa the Puppy”
- Don’t forget to click the gifs for the titles!
-In this reality, I’m past puberty and still get pimples so I’m gonna make like Prez Nixon and try to cover that shit up
-I’m going out tonight and still insist on wearing the same all-black ensemble every time so I’m gonna have to up the notch here a little before people start…
look at these lil shitheads
god i love them×